● Up to six, three year fixed-term postdoctoral research fellow positions
● Become an integral part of one of the leading research centres in Australia
● $108 – $145K p.a. pro rata, which includes base salary leave loading and up to 17% super.
The University of Sydney’s Centre for Translational Data Science is a multidisciplinary initiative transforming research through the application of data science. This multidisciplinary Centre is bringing together scientists and domain researcher experts across the University to transform research and to strengthen data science. We develop a culture of engagement with external industry and government partners by developing and applying cutting edge data science methods to achieve economic and social impact for the broader community. As part of this initiative, we are currently seeking to fill up to six fixed-term postdoctoral research fellow roles to help grow the impact of our research and development activities and to explore novel areas for the application of data science. We are looking for candidates with a strong track record in fundamental areas of statistics and/or machine learning.
● Fundamental Research Themes
Data Fusion: Developing the mathematical, statistical and algorithmic structures needed to build probabilistic models of complex phenomena.
Decision-Making: Studying decision-making, creating research that will enable everyone from doctors to governments make better decisions.
Data Science Ethics: Focusing on creating ethical guidelines around data handling, bias and machine learning algorithms is essential.
● Application Areas
Intelligent Systems: Developing novel applications for intelligent systems including robotics, predictive maintenance and process control.
Personalised Medicine: Understanding the needs of patients in order to getting the right treatment and personalised care.
Scientific Discovery: Developing research to truly understand everything from evolution, to agriculture and human behaviour.
We are seeking candidates with
● a PhD (or equivalent) in statistics, machine learning or a related discipline obtained within the last 5 years
● proven track record in statistics/machine learning
● experience and commitment to collaborative research
● excellent verbal and written communication skills
● knowledge of Bayesian methodology is desirable
● previous experience working within a multidisciplinary research group with experience collaborating on research projects with companies or government institutions is desirable.
The Postdoctoral Research Fellow positions will be for a period of 3 years, with further employment available subject to funding availability. Membership of a University approved superannuation scheme is a condition of appointment.
Remuneration package: $108K – $145K p.a. pro rata, which includes base salary $92K – $124K pa. pro rata, leave loading and up to 17% super.