The Institute for Statistics and Mathematics at WU is currently inviting applications for a PhD position (30 hrs/week).
As a successful candidate you will be member of WU’s newly founded PhD-label Mathematics in Economics and Business (a special track within the PhD Program in Economics and Social Science offering a modern interdisciplinary scientific education in the area of mathematics for
economics and business) see
You will carry out independent research resulting in a PhD thesis in the field of financial mathematics and economics in one of the research areas of the institute (in particular statistics and computing), typically with a focus on applications in economics and business.
The research projects will comprise all aspects of applied mathematics and statistics, from model development and mathematical analysis to numerical implementation and statistical estimation of models. Moreover, you will have teaching and supervision duties at the undergraduate level (2hrs of teaching per week).
– MSc or diploma in statistics or applied mathematics or, alternatively, an MSc in either quantitative finance or in quantitative economics with a strong statistical and mathematical background
– Strong background in stochastics (probability theory and statistics)
– Good English as well as programming skills (in R)
– Pedagogical and presentation skills
– Willingness to use multimedia formats in teaching
German language skills are not a prerequisite. Some prior background in economics or finance is an advantage.
We offer a stimulating interdisciplinary research environment in an attractive city. For further information, you can contact Bettina Grün (email@example.com).
For more information see
If you are interested in a job with diverse responsibilities in a pleasant, stimulating work environment, please submit your application by August 26, 2020 (ID 720) under www.wu.ac.at/jobs.